Thoughts After a Few Days with iPad
I reserve the right to change my mind on any of this =)
- The Netflix app is way cool at first glance, but then again, where would I really use this? You would need pretty ace WiFi to use it (not gonna happen over 3G). That means I’m at home (why not just watch the TV?) or somewhere like Starbucks (not gonna sit there and watch a movie).
- I’m finding it a bit awkward to hold. It’s weird in the lap. It weird to hold with one hand and use with the other. I have yet to find the perfect position for using it. My favorite so far is on my chest in bed propped up against a pile of blankets.
- Using iPhone apps on it is garbage. Don’t even sync them on there, not worth it. 2x mode is just dumb. The only exception is really pure-graphical kind of games like Star Defense, which is almost passable.
- It’s gonna be about pure consumption. Reading books, watching quick videos, mindless browsing, playing games, RSS, etc.
- The future is wide open. There is gonna be some kick ass apps written for this, and it’ll be exciting to see what comes. Pretty much every category is awaiting the killer app. The PDF readers are mediocre, the RSS readers are mediocre, the Twitter clients are mediocre… there is the long way to come here.
- I’m kind bored of it for now. I’m much more of a do-er than consumer with my devices, and as much as they have tried, I can’t see my self doing much “real work” on this thing. Even stuff like Twitter I bet I’ll still use my phone more.