Real Bread

11 responses to “Real Bread”

1. Michi says:

Agree! But in my personal opinion: North America can still learn a lot from European break. :-)

(at least that was one of the only things i missed during my 10 months in the US – and I tried “real” bakerys)

2. l0k1 says:

Agree with you, Chris, and also agree with Michi. While artisan breads have come a long way in the US, they still can’t quite compare with, say, the wonderful, everyday breads I got to eat while living in Germany and Austria. Man, I miss those.

3. Theres a bakery down the road from me and we get something called Creole Loaves there really nice to eat with butter especially when its so hot the butter melts on contact ^^

Yummy I think I’ma get some in the morning

4. Sasha Endoh says:

Agree 100%! This is why I make my own bread. It’s must easier than most people think!

5. koew says:

I’ve got to agree with Michi on that one: Scandinavian bread, in particular, is so healthy so when we (Scandinavians) visit “toast-countries” (UK, US and the likes where bread won’t feed you alone), we get this hunger for our own kind of bread.

And yes, you can buy good bread in UK and US of A (where I’m currently at), but it costs hellalot more. You should definitely take a trip to Sweden, or Norway or Denmark. Good bread, great beer.

6. Paul Davis says:

Haha, so true.

7. Benni says:

And me as the german guy says: That’s just another one of those prejudices. But it’s sooooo true…

8. I’ve visited the states a few times, and unless you know where to go, the bread is as poor as the pappy white stuff the supermarkets sell in the UK. The reason supermarkets can make a living out of rubbish bread is price and convenience – they put fat into it so that it has a longer shelf life. Personally, I live in a little English village and have a bakery 10 yards away. Before you think of a rural idyll, they also do bacon and egg butties which are sooo hard to resist.

Fred

(I can’t believe it. Chris posts a tiny article about bread and the world joins in the discussion.)

9. Peter says:

Recently moved to Montréal, Canada from Belgium. Things I miss the most: good bread, good cheap cheese and good cheap chocolate. I don’t understand why it’s so hard to make good bread over here. :-)

10. Jessi Hance says:

Real bread is kneaded by your own hands and comes steaming out of your own oven. It's like websites – so much more satisfying when you make your own.

Oh, I just noticed Sasha said the same thing. Right on, Sasha! Happy baking!

11. Darren H says:

Unfortunately, even the “real bread” in most places isn’t even “real” bread. Although the types of “real bread” discussed here are much better than the fluffy, white glue-foam found in most grocery stores, “real” bread is made from freshly milled flour. Anything made from flour that is not milled at the time of baking has lost 90% of its nutrients. Once we learned this we started milling our own flour and making our own bread inexpensively and began enjoying all of the health benefits.