A Day

The day Wednesday, October 21st, 2020:

Wake up. Ruby is next to me. She’s been waking up in the middle of the night and coming to sleep with me. For like… 6 weeks now.

I didn’t get to work until 8:30am or so. Slow start. Very different from the days I’d be at work at 5:30am just a few months ago. I’m working a bit later to “make up for it”, but it doesn’t, really.

There was a bit of a sponsor miscommunication on a post we were working on that I had to sort out. It was really no big deal, but since sponsorship stuff is a good chunk of my income (and I’m a conflict-avoiding kind of person) this took first priority.

Speaking of (other) sponsors, Automattic has been a huge sponsor for me. One of their products, Jetpack, has a totally revamped backup feature, and they just released an update that theoretically would make it work on my Flywheel hosting. It took a little doing to make it work, but I was keen to get it going, so we had to work through it, which involved some fancy dancing like SSHing into the server, using the WP CLI, and symlinking files. Thanks, Steve Seear!

We got our election ballots in the mail a few days ago, and it was the day to get them filled out and dropped off at a ballot collection point. We took an ussie (shout out Ted Lasso) to commemorate.


I left a small hint on Twitter about who I voted for.

We’ve been looking to move office spaces, and our friend Andrea has been helping us navigate the commercial real estate world. Readers, you remember Andrea from my Tulum post. Well after looking at a bunch of spaces and then a bunch of back and forth with the lease on the one we finally landed on, we signed the lease! New office!

It’s about a third of the size of my current office, but that was on purpose. This office is just the size for the two of us, so we don’t need to sublease it to be able to afford it like we do now. It’s a bit of a step up in fanciness though, to make up for it. We have a good 5 weeks of overlap between offices, which is great because it’s going to take some time to move.

The move to the new office is going to require a bunch of moving labor, most of which we’ll probably outsource. Fortunately the hardest thing is the big sound booth I have, but the company said they could help me with it directly.

Sadly, BendTel fiber isn’t in the new building. I’m getting 800 Mbps down and up here, and I think the best we’ll do is 200 / 50 at the new office. But hey it’ll be cheaper.

I sign the lease, get the keys, take a picture, and go back to the office. I get an email immediately letting me know I forgot to actually sign the last page of the lease. Derp.

I head back to sign that page, which I have to do super quickly because I’m also on my way to a personal training appointment at the gym. I’m back to doing that, which feels like at least I’m doing a little something for my health. I still very extremely banged up from the car accident. What was cool was that my main trainer was back! Whatup Corn! His wife and him have been at the hospital having their twin babies. They were born a bit premature so they’ve been out a while, but everything is going well, so they are sneaking back to the gym (they own it), to see clients like me. We do the training in an empty gym with masks on. Such are the times.

We’re going to be doing a bunch of moving work at the office, but also doing a bunch of moving work at home. We confirmed our appointment with the company who will be working on our wood floors at home that they are coming on Monday to get started. That’s great, because we have to be out of the house for 2 weeks while they do it, and we booked that time at Brasada Ranch. So it was not the time to pull scheduling shenanigans. We’re all looking forward to this little sorta-kinda-staycation. Ruby’s birthday will be while we’re out there, so hopefully that feels kinda special.

Speaking of home, the people came to “blow out” the sprinkler system. Meaning no more watering for the year. They get the water out of the lines so they don’t freeze and burst during the winter. They also cleared the roofs and gutters of pine needles. You’d think having a yard full of pine trees would absolve you from the yard maintence that you’d normally have with deciduous tress. But nope, these ponderosa pines drop needles like wild in the fall.

The good luck was just rolling yesterday. After all this, we got a phone call from the Chevrolet place saying some parts we’ve been waiting for for like months finally came in, so that’ll be another chapter closed.

In between all this, I was, ya know, actually doing my job. I got some news about a very cool project I’ve been keeping my eye on. I worked on some design and planning documents for future features. I chatted with people at work about what they are working on. One major work project entered a QA phase, which was a huge milestone for it. I finished editing a guest blog post that was a real honker and took a lot of time.

I was exhausted by the end of the work day. We ended up meeting over at the new office to take a look with Ruby. Then we went out for dinner to celebrate at 10 Barrel and the food was damn good. They had these huge (nice looking) plastic dividers set up between all the tables. They clearly had the money to build out pandemic-fighting solutions in a way I’d think not all restaurants do. I noticed the bar in the alley across the street from our office built out outdoor booths:

Kinda cool and clever. Those will probably be cool even after the pandemic in a way that plastic dividers might not be.

We watched an episode of The Vow before passing out.