A New Era

Today is my last day at Wufoo / SurveyMonkey. I spent about one year at Wufoo after moving to Tampa, Florida, then we were acquired and moved to Palo Alto, California Then I spent about another year at SurveyMonkey, bouncing between the two products.

I’d say they were the best two years of my life.

I’ve worked with incredibly smart people whom I admire. I worked on products that I truly care about and that helped an enormous number of people. I’ve learned more about the web that I thought there was to know (and now realize how little I still know). I’ve grown in all ways. I’ve made friends for life.

Now I’ve decided it is time for me to move on and devote my time to my own projects for a while. After doing some travelling this summer, I’ll be spending a lot more time on CSS-Tricks. I have a list of videos I want to record and articles I want to write a mile long. I want to be making more demos. I want to be finishing the almanac. I want to make the gallery more useful. And before the year is out (hopefully much sooner) I want to do a v10 of the site.

I’m also working hard on a new project called CodePen with some good friends of mine. Hopefully that will be in public Beta soon and I’ll be able to share it with you all.

For the first time ever, I’ll be able to dedicate all my time toward making these personal projects as best as they can be. I’m pretty stoked to see where they are able to go. I’m also going to be losing a significant amount of income, so you might see me trying to sell a few things here and there. I’m also thinking about doing a Kickstarter for the big CSS-Tricks redesign, where the rewards start with access to screencasts of the entire process and going up from there. Not entirely sure exactly what I’ll do, that’s part of the fun!

UPDATE: I’m doing the Kickstarter thing!

Comments

1. Jon Balza says:

Congrats Chris – good luck on all your adventures. Definitely contributing to get access to the screencast!

2. Jason Gegere says:

Congrats on your passion and motivation to more the web forward. So exciting!

3. nick malozzi says:

would be happy to contribute to kickstarter if you go that route. keep us all informed! best of luck, and enjoy the traveling!

4. Wow, sounds really exciting! Congratulations with making the big transition :)

5. Best of luck Chris!!

6. maxw3st says:

Best of luck in your future endeavors. I’m in school right now and don’t even have time to keep up with what you’ve already done (with things like Sequence JS and so on). I routinely note your tweets regarding CSS Tricks and have bookmarked and saved a bunch of them on faavorite for later reference.

Your tips and tricks with CSS are helping me expand my use of the language “?” as I move through various web design classes so I must thank you profusely.

Have a good vacation. I will certainly be looking forward to your future efforts and postings.

@maxw3st

7. Can’t wait to see more awesomeness from CSS-Tricks and your other personal projects. Good luck on your new path captain!

8. David B. says:

Awesome, Chris! Congratulations and good luck :)

Today is coincidentally my last day at work too. However, I’m doing the freelance thing full time.

9. Amer Mall says:

All the best in your future endeavors. Thanks for sharing your skills with the community. I am learning a lot form css-tricks and digging into wordpress. Someday, when I grow up, I can be almost as good as you :)

thanks
    Amer

10. Stephen Stinebaker says:

Congratulations Man! It takes a lot of dedication & courage to follow your dreams.

11. Jamy Golden says:

Great Chris! I’m really excited to see the progress!

12. You will be alright Chris!! (Money wise).

It always comes up. Charlie Harper is right, “something will come up”. Can’t wait to see your redesign and good luck with your new projects. move to Costa Rica mate!!!

13. Nick Cooley says:

Congratulations Chris! Best of luck in the new ventures. I’d contribute to a kickstarter….

14. Paul J. Adam says:

Congrats Chris! Has been fun watching your progress through the years.

Hope to see you at SXSW again in the future.

15. Congratulations Chris! I’m sure that wherever you adventures lead that they will be filled with awesomeness:)

16. Wasim says:

Congratulations!!!

17. Good luck Chris !!

18. Congratulations Chris!

19. Tommy Day says:

Good luck Chris! And I think the Kickstarter idea is great. Throw in a CSS-Tricks t-shirt with one of the levels!

20. Allen D. says:

Congratulations and good luck brah! Keep up the awesome work with Shop Talk. It’s the best podcast around!

21. Caleb Ogden says:

Congrat’s Chris. That’s really exciting.

22. Dan Denney says:

I’m seriously looking forward to what comes from this change. I’ve learned so much from you, so I’m pumped that you’ll have the time to do more.

Plus, I’m really looking forward to Codepen.

You already know that I’m a Chris fanboy, though.

23. Billy White says:

After reading the incredibly detailed last post on css-tricks.com (re: responsive images), I said to a coworker “I can’t believe he has time for a job.” Then I see this!

I’m looking forward to whatever you produce next. Congratulations and good luck with your next chapter.

24. May the wind be always behind your back.

25. Congratulations Chris! Looking forward to the outcome of all this.

26. Justin Seidl says:

You have done some amazing things for the web community. Excited to see what the future holds now for CSS Tricks and Code Pen with the increase in dedicated time.

27. komiska says:

You are keeping our minds busy and fed, and I am very curious to see what the CodePen project is all about! Also, very happy to hear there will be more CSS-Tricks goodness coming our way!
    I’ve learned so much from you in the past 2 years, it can be compared to bringing literacy to a complete ignoramus.
    You have an amazing talent to show and explain complicated matter in a very concise and structured way!

Congratulations to that,to your courage, and best of luck to your new ventures!

28. Ed Brandt says:

It’ll be the (next) best decision of your life. All the best!

29. Greg says:

Nothing beats having a clean sheet of possibilities in front of you. Good luck Chris.

30. Vojislav Bajakic says:

All the best Chris! Enjoy your holiday… you have earned it. Thnx for all your work on CSSTricks… you have made our lives easier. Good luck on future end avers… Many thnx from Serbia!

31. Trent Walton says:

Congratulations Chris! No doubt the projects you’re making time for will benefit us all.

32. Vipul Anand says:

Entrepreneur’s phase starts now! you are already an asset to web development!

33. John b says:

Awesome! Does this mean more time for more shoptalkshow?!

34. Doug Neiner says:

Hey Chris,

So happy and excited for you! Excited to see all the awesome you will be working on in the coming months!

Doug

35. Akbar says:

I love your blog CSS-Tricks and the screencasts are just awesome. Really looking forward to watch more. Best of luck! :)

36. Sheri says:

I’m so excited for you!! Cheers to new adventures. :)

37. @irvinebobb says:

all the best Chris!!

38. Grace says:

Congrats on taking the step Chris! Would be happy to kick in on your Kickstarter project! Look forward to more from you :)

39. jake says:

Love to see an entire walk through of a redesign of CSS-Tricks. Been a big fan from the beginning and though it’s been difficult to keep up – have lots of interest along w/ web design, I believe I’ve learned a lot from what you’ve shared. Continued thanks!

40. obuliraj says:

Cris, you are guy who inspired me towards CSS. Your tricks helped me a lot for my career. I should “Thank You ! Man ”

All the best, Cris.

41. Greg Babula says:

Congratulations Chris.

What’s your plan financially? Seems like something everyone would love to do but paying the bills comes first.

42. Good luck Chris for all you’re adventures ahead! We’re waiting for you to share your ideas & views regarding the new techs of this emerging generation.

Good bless!

43. Mark Moran says:

As someone who takes full advantage of the content on css-tricks.com, I totally support this decision. :-) Enjoy your travels and I’m looking forward to seeing all your great content. :-)

44. Rodney says:

Many blessings to you Chris.I’m sure you’re aware of the risk leaving that income behind. But the beauty of it are the rewards that will come back to you 10 fold. You’re obviously a huge talent and leader in the community with a lot of skill. I’m confident you’ll succeed in this new venture far beyond your own expectations. If there is anything any of us here can do to help you on this journey. Don’t hesitate to ask. You’ve shared so much…it’s the least we can do.

Good journey…

Sincerely,

Rodney

45. Neri says:

Good Luck Chris! Look forward to all of the insights you’ll be sharing with us on CSS tricks.

46. peter says:

are you going to burning man?

47. Kevin Barr says:

Awesome! Glad to hear you’re going to continue and grow what you’re already doing with CSS-Tricks and more. You’re one of the giants one whose back I stand, and CSS-Tricks is one of my go to sites for solid, informed insight regarding all things related to front-end coding.Thanks Chris!

48. Abrishca says:

Congrats Chris,

No doubt we’ll all learn as much from your new projects as we have already so far.

Good luck!

49. Ben Good says:

Congrats and good luck! I have been following CSS-Tricks since you started and it has been a great asset to me, so I will definitely be contributing to the KickStarter…

50. Anthony Delorie says:

Code pen rocks! as does your podcast, can’t wait to see the screencasts for v10 of css-tricks.

51. Eloine says:

Personally I think this is wonderful news. I think CSS-tricks is such an awesome site and this just means it will get better. Congrats to you for having the guts to go it fully on your own.

52. Miguel says:

Congrats Chris,

I really love your CSS-Tricks site, it´s awesome.I have downloaded all your screencasts, so your KickStarter project will count with me.

Thanks

53. Andrew says:

You work makes me regret I’m not in your field (I tinker and never have the time).

Shame the $200s are sold out. I truth I can’t keep up with you, but my son has the potential, so he’ll get a part of CSS Tricks as part of his 16th birthday present :) He’s enjoyed your WordPress book!

All the best with the plans. What you’ve done already is awesome.

54. Luca Rosaldi says:

Man didn’t you say you were going to lose part of your income?

The project on Kickstarter has already gathered 45.000$, and it’s still a long way to go! You’re going to get rich! :)

Just kidding! I’m happy for you Chris, making a work of what you love to do is not for all people, and you deserve it all.

I’ll be your kickstarter too, can’t wait for the screencasts to begin. KUTGW!

55. David says:

Good for you, Chris. You’re a huge asset, contributor, and educator for the Web Design community … you’re back where you belong.

56. Michael says:

I am really happy for you through your website, I have really learned a lot (real world example) which I couldn’t get in college back here in Kenya. I feel that I am a better web-design (from CSS Novice to Ninja )