Grooveshark on the iPhone

I met some of the guys from Grooveshark earlier this year (whatup Vishal and John!) when I was down in Florida for the Front End Design Conference. We had had a good time. We hung out and talked shop at the conference, ate alligator tacos, and saw Black Moth Super Rainbow.

Never heard of Grooveshark? Well you should, it’s amazing. You can listen to any song in the world for free from your computer. With a free account, you can make playlists, favorite songs, upload your own songs, and be friends with other Grooveshark users. It’s like iTunes, except your library is about 1,000 times bigger and it’s free. Annnnd, it has radio mode which learns your likes and dislikes so it’s got the Pandora angle covered.

Now Grooveshark is going to have an iPhone app! It’s pretty full featured, meaning that all of your favorites and playlists from you account come with you to the app. As well as of course the ability to search all the songs in the world and listen to them.

NOTE: The Grooveshark app is not yet approved by Apple. Hopefully, it will be soon.

Favorite Feature?

You know how on scroll-wheel iPods you can hold down the button when you find a song you want to listen to to add it to the On-The-Go playlist? This allowed you to be an in-car DJ without having a computer or plan ahead. Well I don’t have a scroll-wheel iPod anymore, I have an iPhone. There is no way on the iPhone to make an On-The-Go playlist.* With the Grooveshark iPhone app, you can be playing tunes, browsing around, and add songs on the fly to your song queue. Nice.

* OK I guess there is a way to do On-The-Go on the iPhone, I just didn’t know about it.

Screens

Comments

1. Nice that looks awesome. I’m a huge Grooveshark fan and I hope everyone finds out about them. Can’t wait for an Android app as that will be my next phone for sure.

2. Looking forward to checking this out, strangely enough it was just yesterday I searched the App store for Grooveshark, not realising an app was in the pipeline.

I’m also digging the cool post design you’ve put together!

3. Kevin M says:

Wow, love the splash screen for the app! I’ve been using Grooveshark for months now, so I’m pleased to see they’re extending the service to the iPhone.

But, being an Android user myself I am quietly hoping that the Gshark may find its way into my market soon! =D

4. richard says:

Um.. there totally is a way to make an On-The-Go playlist on the iPhone using the iPod app.. just tap the Playlists button. On my phone, On-The-Go is the second option.

@richard – I guess that’s why I’m not a tech journalist.

6. David B says:

Sweet! I’m totally checking it out. Thnx Chris!

7. Jad Limcaco says:

That’s cool. What’s even cooler is the blog design. Can you show us how you customize each page of your blog? I’m interested to see how that is done. Thanks!

8. Tyrale says:

Sweetness. I have been rocking Grooveshark since beta. I am quite ready to see the iphone app.

9. Jbcarey says:

I’m also a big grooveshark fan but sadly I’ve only got edge on my iPhone so streaming isn’t an option for me…

But great to see they are making an app.

10. hassan says:

I’m also a huge Grooveshark fan, i can’t wait for it to be released for Android! i really hope they make ot happen soon.

11. I would great they approve the app but I think it will be very hard, this can kill in some way their store now that 3G is more common.

12. Jason says:

Grooveshark should be required reading in kindergarten.

Glad to see they’re developing mobile solutions!

13. I was sooo looking forward to this. Hope ist will be released soon.

14. Darren Nickerson says:

I didn’t even know about grooveshark, this is a very cool site thanks alot Chris

15. Robin says:

Although this is an great app, I don’t think Apple will approve it. Why? Simply because this is an killer competitor for the iTunes Store.

16. Lynne says:

Damn! just scearched app store again and still no Grooveshark. Seems contrary to Apple’s “Appleness” but would totally love an iPhone app. Grooveshark rocks!

17. Dailypush says:

Come to Android!! we will accept you :)

18. Delfina says:

Dude! I’ve been waiting for this since I became a Grooveshark Groopy! Can’t wait!

19. Bill says:

Steve will never approve Grooveshark – he wants to sell music. Fuck Apple

20. Bill says:

Fuck Apple

21. Fuck Apple indeed.

Patiently awaiting grooveshark for iphone…

22. Geetz Romo says:

c’mon folks, can’t we all get along? :)
    If apple approves an app like Pandora, then there’s no reason not to accept Grooveshark. If Grooveshark allows you to purchase music through iTunes, even better.

23. Shawn says:

Hi My name is Shawn owner of apptacious.com Finally this is great news I so cannot wait for this

24. aboleo says:

Sounds & Looks nice.
    Never have heared of grooveshark but for me it Sound simillar to lastfm or did i miss something somehow?

I will tray it anyway.

Btw: Chris i would have aspected a mobile version of your blog ( i’m tapping this right from Germany in my iPhone )

25. acai says:

Positively neutral. Very promoting. Because I’m not a clear English author I really took the criticisms genuinely. I expected a lot to get better. I found this site to be very helpful for my understanding and stack comprehension. Thank you for one of the most dynamic write ups I will plausibly ever encounter. I read a great deal in a short point of time. I enjoyed the eye glaze words and style and the ability to pace my reading.

26. savedR says:

See, I don’t think it’s all that big a competitor to iTunes at all. Grooveshark lets you listen to music, any song you want.. as long as you have an internet connection. They may restrict it not to work except over Wifi like Skype, that may help approval.

But the reason I think it won’t be competition is that you can’t actually BUY music through Grooveshark. For every song they have, they provide buy links (under “Download”). Those buy links point to two places, Amazon MP3 store and a direct link to the song in iTunes, a phobos.apple.com link. If they kept that functionality, and I see no reason why they wouldn’t since iTunes links work perfectly on iPhones/iPod Touches, it should actually increase iTunes song purchases!

27. ali says:

well I disagree with savedR!
    iTunes is going to be hit hard!!
    people don’t buy the songs because they want to BUY them!
    they buy the songs because they want to listen to them. If you can listen to the song without buying, why would you buy?
    but I do think the project might take off, if grooveShark guys accept the restriction to WiFi!
    looking forward to grooveShark on iphone!
    cheers!

28. I’ve never been a big fan of Apple but I have to admit that the iphone is quite good! :) I’d like to know if this issue about the iphone 4 is important or not. I’d like to buy the new 4g and I was wondering if the calls actually drop more or not. Sorry if it’s a bit off topic :P Thanks a lot

29. I’ve never been an Apple fan but I’d like to buy the new iphone 4g and I was wondering if the calls actually drop more than before or not. Many thanks. Sorry if it’s a bit off topic :P

30. Hugs says:

I’ve been a big fan of Grooveshark and the iphone for quite some time now. Great stuff.